“Who questions much, shall learn much and retain much.” : Francis Bacon
As educationists, it is our responsibility to teach the young generation how to think rather than what to think. It is important that we encourage them to question the age old norms and henceRead more...
“Education is the foundation upon which we build our future.”
• Christine Gregoire
The purpose of education is not simply to acquire degrees. It is to mould the impressionable minds of our young generation in the right direction.Read more...
“Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.”
• John F Kennedy
Training in leadership is an integral part of the education system for the world needs more leaders than followers. We aim at making each child a leader,Read more...
Today's mighty tree is just yesterday's little nut that held its ground
It is immensely gratifying to be a part of the Diamond Jubilee Celebration of the school. The year just flewRead more...
The school encourages the children to watch educative & informative programmes on television and regular movie shows are organised. During the summer & winter vacations, study tours within India are organized to further explore the outside world.
The school places the greatest emphasis on sports and physical education, which are necessary for the all round development of children. A scientific schedule for such activities has been put in place, and all possible safety precautions are taken.
The Sheiling House School, Kanpur was originally known as the U.K.C.A. (United Kingdom Citizens' Association) School. It was founded by Mrs. R.L. Powell, the wife of one of the Directors of the British India Corporation. It was mainly meant for British children, although a small number of Indian children were always admitted to the school. With English families leaving Kanpur in 1958, it was found necessary to close the U.K.C.A. school.
It was at this time that some enterprising Indian parents decided to keep the school running and registered the school under Societies Registration Act, 1860. Thus the Sheiling House School Society came into existence on 20th December, 1958 with the motto ‘For Others’. Since then, this day is being celebrated as Founder’s day. The old management of the U.K.C.A. School very generously came forward with the offer of the school premises, its equipment, furniture, books and goodwill to the new management. So in January, 1959, Sheiling House School got its name and began with 39 children in five classes. Later, in July 1959, the school opened the Nursery classes too. It changed the syllabus to suit Indian children, with a view to prepare them for boarding schools in India with English as the medium of instruction.
Despite the fact that the accommodation was limited, the school gradually increased sections in all classes. Till date it has kept in its curriculum the teaching of necessary art & craft and music which go towards building an all-round character.
In 1973, the school was upgraded to an English Medium Junior High School. This school was one of the few non-missionary English medium schools in the State. In 1985, it received the "No Objection Certificate" from the Govt. of U.P. and was affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi.
To groom children into conscious, competitive, social citizens and to make them excellent human beings through imparting complete education.
This incorporates knowledge, self-learning techniques, social & human values and to prepare the students for a competitive edge for the new world order.