Our History

OUR HISTORY

The Sheiling House School, Kanpur was originally known as the U.K.C.A. (United Kingdom Citizens' Association) School. It was founded by Mrs. R.L. Powell, the wife of one of the Directors of the British India Corporation. It was mainly meant for British children, although a small number of Indian children were always admitted to the school. With English families leaving Kanpur in 1958, it was found necessary to close the U.K.C.A. school.

It was at this time that some enterprising Indian parents decided to keep the school running and registered the school under Societies Registration Act, 1860. Thus  the Sheiling House School Society came into existence on 20th December, 1958 with the motto ‘For Others’. Since then, this day is being celebrated as Founder’s day. The old management of the U.K.C.A. School very generously came forward with the offer of the school premises, its equipment, furniture, books and goodwill to the new management. So in January, 1959, Sheiling House School got its name and began with 39 children in five classes. Later, in July 1959, the school opened the Nursery classes too. It changed the syllabus to suit Indian children, with a view to prepare them for boarding schools in India with English as the  medium of  instruction.

Despite the fact that the accommodation was limited, the school gradually increased sections in all classes. Till date it has kept in its curriculum the  teaching of  necessary art & craft and music which go towards building an all-round character.

In 1973, the school was upgraded to an English Medium Junior High School. This school was one of the few non-missionary English medium schools in the State. In 1985, it received the "No Objection Certificate" from the Govt. of U.P. and was affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi.